Thursday 28 November 2013

Under the sea...Books and Songs

I am going to share the names of few books that i read with my children during the unit of sea animals.

Commotion in the ocean was used to introduce the topic. The book has rhyming words and colorful illustrations.
                                                           
Rainbow fish by Marcus Pfister and Swimmy by Leo Lionni are always liked by students. These books can also be used to talk about concepts of sharing and group work.
                                     
Any book by Eric Carle is a huge hit in my class. We read A house for the Hermit Crab and Mr Seahorse.
                                             
                                      
As a follow up activity, children made their own crafts.
                                 
                                      

We also did a reading of non-fictional books by scholastic. Children loved exploring the books on killer whales, dolphins and sharks.
 I felt the content of these books were meant for the age group of 6-8 years. However the illustrations were great and language can always be modified for young children.
If you would like to purchase these books in India, you could go to Flip kart.com

The link for the book"Killer Whales" is given below:
http://www.flipkart.com/killer-whales/p/itmd73md4fw3mzej?pid=9780531254790&otracker=from-search&srno=t_7&query=whale+scholastic&ref=a979f3d4-09fe-41ab-88d3-a35d924b26ae

The link for the book"Sharks" is given below:
http://www.flipkart.com/sharks/p/itmd67gzw2myfy2h?pid=9780531209073&otracker=from-search&srno=t_6&query=sharks+scholastic&ref=533f0188-1a62-479c-b4f9-a96552f6a6b5

The link for the book"Dolphins" is given below:
http://www.flipkart.com/dolphins/p/itmd2wfkfyjzxs5m?pid=9780531210758&otracker=from-search&srno=t_9&query=dolphin+scholastic&ref=4a015ac5-c36c-40fa-a5f7-bbe78fe21898






Kindergarteners enjoy singing songs which involve a lot of movement. The song "Five little Fishes" is a favorite. The wordings are as follows:
Five little fishes swimming in the sea
Teasing Mr Shark you cant catch me
Along came Mr shark as quiet as can be
And snapped one fish out of the sea

The number of fish keep decreasing till no fish is left

We also like singing- "Animals in the Water"
All the fishes swimming in the water
Swimming in the water
Bubble Bubble Bubble Bubble SPLASH

Children add their favorite animals in other verses

Another song which we enjoy singing is "I am a little fishy"
I'm a little fishy
watch me swim
Here is my tail
Here is my fin
When I want to have fun with my friends
I wiggle my tail and dive right in

Children had fun watching the the video of "Pout Pout Fish"
I shall come back with more stuff in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment